Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My 18hp kohler engine ran fine till I turned it off and tried

Customer Question

my 18hp kohler engine ran fine till I turned it off and tried to restart. It doesn't make a sound and I put in a new battery and it still doesn't make a sound when you try to start it.
Can you help?
Lloyd Raymer
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lloyd. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question. It is likely that you have a blown fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think its a fuse. I charged the old battery for about 2 hours and it started and I was almost finished when a friend stoped by. I turned it off and when I tried to start again, nothing happened. I charged the battery again and still nothing happened. I bought a new battery and still nothing happened.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a way to check for voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we talk more tomorrow without me having to pay another fee?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes we can. You will not be charged until after you are satisfied with your answer. Wait until then to rate my answer. Tomorrow start with checking for voltage at your ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is voltage to my ignition switch because all the light come on when you turn it on. What do you think. Does the coil have anything to do with it not working?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your coil is likely ok. You may have a faulty solenoid. Have you located your solenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but it won't be that hard to find. I need to finish mowing my lawn. I really need to have an idea of what to check.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There is an orange wire in your ignition switch wiring connector. This wire should have voltage when you turn ignition switch to start position. This wire goes through your brake safety switch and your pto safety switch, then to your solenoid. Check both of these safety switches. Are you familiar with wiring diagrams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but my wife wants to go to bed and the computer is in our bedroom. I will try your advice and talk with you again tomorrow.
Good night.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That will great! You have a good night too.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We can continue from here. Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link above, to open wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will try to use this diagram to find my problem. Can I rate you after I check this out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER ME??
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can wait until after you are satisfied, before rating me. Start at your ignition switch, and check your start circuit via your orange wire.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Take your time. We can continue from here. Thanks!