Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Ltx 1050 cub cadet with the Kohler 24 HP - got alot of twine

Customer Question

ltx 1050 cub cadet with the Kohler 24 HP - got alot of twine wrapped around blade hubs, after twine removal the mower deck bogs motor down, like 1/2 the normal power available... thx
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
You should remove the blades and the blade hubs to make sure that all of the twine is gone.
Check to see that the blades are turning very free.
It is likely that the twine has created friction and caused the bearings to go bad on the blade spindles.
You may have to replace these bearings.
Look on top of the mower deck to see if there is anything that is holding things and making it hard to turn.
Check all idler pulleys as they will go bad at any time and will start to lock up when they are supposed to turn.
LEt me know what you find
Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Twine encounter event caused motor to bog down and quit, now down on power.
I removed all grass clippings and checked for Twine remnants, all clean.
Proceeded to remove drive belt and check all 3 blades/Hubs for freedom of rotation.
2 idler pulleys also spin freely. Mower has a 50" 3 Blade deck with electric PTO.
Mower is 1 year and 1 month old and probably has 40 hours on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also changed Air Filter (Old one dirty). Motor starts and seems to run Okay, just way down on
power after the TWINE encounter...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No FOLLOW-UP ANSWER... Did I looseCustomer..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no answer, no rating...!
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i had to go home.
Did you try all the things that I mentioned?
If the twine had anything to do with your problem, then it is likely that there still is some twin lodged between the bearings and the adapter. YOu must take the blades off to check this.
Also as I said before you should check the idler pulleys to see if they are all free.
IF the twine doesn't have anything to do with the problem, IT sounds like one of your cylinders is not working. I am assuming that this is a twin cylinder engine .
Start the engine and then take one of the spark plug wires off. if the engine dies, then that is the only cylinder that is working and the other one is not. if you do not see a drop in engine running, then that cylinder is the one that is not working. IF you did see a drop in the running and it stays running, then the engine is most likely ok.
Please leave a good rating for me as this is the only way I get paid by this site.