Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Chris. I'm Mike (first time poster). i am working on a Honda

Customer Question

Hi Chris. I'm Mike (first time poster). i am working on a Honda GC160 mounted on a pressure washer. The cord is very hard to pull with the spark plug in. Take the plug out and it pulls fine. Even though it's hard to pull it will start. Changed oil, it was grey and streaky. Not sure if this might be a valve issue, compression release, or maybe a carb (stuck float) issue. Any suggestions on where I should start? Thanks! - Mike G
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i forgot to mention.... when i remove the plug it pulls easy, and there doesn't appear to be any oil, fuel, etc coming from the spark plug hole.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Did this engine ever pull easy for you with the plug in or was it always hard to pull?IF it just started being hard to pull then it is most likely the valves that need to be adjusted so the compression release will work.If it was always hard to pull, then it may just be the way it is and you have to learn the easiest way to pull the rope.one ting to do is to first check the engine oil to make sure that it is fill of oil. Low oil will cause the engine to be hard to pull and it also will cause the engine to lock up and be ruined.Most likely the problem is that the valves need to be adjusted. Adjust them to have between .004" and ,005' between the valve stem and the rocker arms when the valves are completely closed.Let me know if you meed more information.Please remember to give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. It's not my power washer but the guy who owns it says it wasn't always hard to pull. It's VERY hard to pull! yesterday I went to start it and it pulled the rope out of my hand with so much force I ended up punching myself in the stomach :) but when you remove the plug it's fine. As for the oil, I just changed it. Before it was changed it had a grey color to it. I will try the valve adjustment this afternoon and let you know how that goes.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
This still sounds like the compression release isn't working. So you may have to have the valves adjusted if this is an OVERHEAD VALVE engine.
it also could be that there is oil in the cylinder causing a hydro-lock.
Not much more that I can offer now without actually seeing the unit.
Good luck
Please don't forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way I get paid for my time by this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is overhead valve. i suspected hydrolock when i first got it. but when i remove the plug and pull the cord nothing comes out. I drained and changed the oil but it still does it. I'll try the valve adjustment in a little while and let you know if that worked. Thanks again!
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
OK,
Don't forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way I get paid for my time by this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wasn't the valves. I checked and they didn't need adjusting. turns out the camshaft/timing gear (14320-ZL8-010) was broken. I replaced that, checked the valves again and they are fine. However it still does the same thing. I don't want to keep pulling it or I may end up breaking the timing gear again. Anything else you can suggest?
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
If the camshaft is not installed correctly and timed correctly , that can cause the problem as well.Make sure that you have the proper amount of oil in it Just in case.MAke sure that you check the blade brake as it could be hanging up and holding the flywheel when it is not supposed to be.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Also very seldom can you replace a camshaft and not readjust the valves since all camshaft can be a little bit different. I suggest that you check the valve clearances again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks. I will take a look at the valves again. As for the blade brake, this is on a pressure washer. I did remove the pump just in case that was the issue, but the same results. very hard to pull.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
OK, Didn't know it was on a pressure washer. but you are on it ok. Let me know what happens.Don't forget to give me a good rating.Thanks