Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My engine seems to have to much compression and wont crank

Customer Question

my engine seems to have to much compression and wont crank over. I readjusted the valves to .004 and that did not work. I took the starter apart and checked the brushes, armiture ect the battery reeds 13 volts. I tryed to jump start it from my truck and it gets to the compression stroke and stops. I took out the spark plug and it turns over nice and free. When I turn it by hand it turns then gets real hard but goes past the compression stroke. the motor is a single cylinder 21 HP 540cc is ther a compression release someware that helps get the motor started
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The camshaft Briggs and Stratton 793880, has the compression release as part of the camshaft gear. If the spring breaks or the weight comes off, the compression release does not work. Check the compression on the engine and if it is above 110 PSI, the compression release is broken. Repair is to replace the camshaft!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/331877-0036-g1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/camshaft-crankshaft-cylinder-gasket-set-engine-operator-s-manual-piston-rings-connecting-rod-warning-label/