Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Had starter problems. Just replaced starter. Starter spins,

Customer Question

Had starter problems. Just replaced starter. Starter spins, but will not engage. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Starter was changed for this reason? What is battery voltage? At least 12.5 volts? Is battery hooked up correctly, + positive to the red cable, to the starter solenoid? What engine? Is solenoid part of starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starter was changed because it wouldn't turn even with a full charge-made noise, but nothing else. Battery is charged and hooked up correctly. Engine is a Kohler Courage SV 600 on a Cub Cadet LT 1045 series 1000. Solenoid is apparently separate from starter.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can engine be turned manually? If you jump the solenoids two large posts, will the engine spin? If you remove the spark plug will engine spin? If gear on stater does not engage the flywheel. the starter is turning backwards (battery connections?) or the battery voltage to the starter is not 12 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine can be turned. I haven't tried to jump solenoid. I'll give it a try. If it helps, I observed the starter with the engine cover removed and it spins before pushing up high enough to engage flywheel.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find a solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The posiitve battery cable bolts to it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any suggestions?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid looks to be mounted just under the battery tray. The starter is not engaging the flywheel from either spinning backward from battery connections wrong, or it is not getting enough voltage, bad battery or cables, or bad solenoid. Stater has to get a full 12 volts to spin up and catch the flywheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Double-checked the connections. Must be the solenoid.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would jump the solenoid before replacing it!