Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just picked up a Honda EM3500SX generator, probably

Customer Question

Hello - I just picked up a Honda EM3500SX generator, probably 12-15 years old I'm guessing? Has a key switch but no battery and no hanging wires? Tried to pull start, and tries to start but no go. Took off the carb tonight, removed the main jet and whatever gizmo is in the bottom of the bowl which I assume pushes against the float? Some junk in there it seemed. Cleaned everything that seemed I could, flushed carb cleaner in any hole I saw, and also pulled the filter in the petcock which was sparkly clean oddly. Reassembled and seemed similar, maybe slightly better. If I cover the intake, it will start and run. If I let it get any more air, it sputters and dies. Tried with cap off as well to make sure not a vent problem, no apparent difference. This is with no load and auto idle off. That leads me to think its a fuel problem but not sure what else I could have cleaned? Previous owner said it was sitting 3-4 months but know thats always with grain of salt. Trying to fix this on the cheap to use with my son when we go racing for the weekend. Would prefer not to buy a new carb but is that my only remedy at this point? Thanks!
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK two things I've found researching myself while waiting:
Found this link which has great pics: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/honda_carb_16100-zf6-w10.aspI did NOT remove/clean the float needle.
When I removed/cleaned the jet, I did not realize there was a "nozzle" under that to be cleaned too.Therefore I presume that most likely the problem sits in the nozzle, but will check float needle to be sure.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Yes,great site, and your problem has to be the carburetor. The carburetor is not passing fuel through the main jet. When you hold hand over the carburetor throat, you bypass the jet, same as the choke flap does! You can try a better cleaning job on the carburetor, but if not, I see new carbs run around $40.00. Ebay, amazon, etc.