Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

HiHank I have a onan 7000 gen 7nhmfa26106f doesn't start on

Customer Question

HiHank I have a onan 7000 gen 7nhmfa26106f doesn't start on its own but if I manually operate throttle by giving it just a little gas it runs then if I adjust the throttle screw to about 1500 rpm it stays running and works like it should thanks Bob
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
Is this unit running on gasoline or LP?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gas
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
OK
First things first. You should not have tampered with the throttle stop screw. This is not an idle adjustment -- it is a safety feature. It will need to be reset, and you will need a frequency meter to reset it. Failure to have it properly adjusted can lead to engine failure.
How long has this genset been sitting?
Before you tampered with the throttle stop, would the engine run at extremely slow speed, or would it just flat not start?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been sitting for 2 months started in dead of winter ok run for about two hours . flat not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not using genset now waiting till get fixed right. Noticed that when I turn microwave on it would slow down & stop when running good it would speed up a little
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
First, take off the black cover on the top of the genset.
Look to see if the throttle linkage has become disconnected from the governor actuator. This was a common problem on this genset.
.