Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a cummins5.5HGJA-901D gen. starts when I push button

Customer Question

I have a cummins5.5HGJA-901D gen. starts when I push button stalls as soon as I release
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank for for requesting me.
Lets see what fault code is set.
Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.
Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.
What Fault Code are you getting?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two flashes pause three flashes
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Code 23 is Oil Pressure Switch Fault.
You either have a broken wire between the controller and pressure switch, or the pressure switch is bad.
This will be very easy to test.
Go to the oil pressure switch and disconnect the wire from it.
Set your meter to ohms, and place one lead to the switch terminal, and the other to a clean engine ground. It should show continuity.
Now with the meter still connected, start cranking the engine. As the engine spins up to speed, the meter should not show continuity.
If the switch reads open right away, the switch is bad.
If the switch is working as it should, follow the wire back to the controller, and check for breaks.
If you find a break, repair it.
If you do not find a break, you will need to unplug the connector from the controller, and ohm that wire out to see if it is broken or not.
If it is not, you have a bad controller.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Offer has been sent.
.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Were you still needing help with this, or did you find the problem?
.