Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Kohler SV 736 engine (26 hp) starts as though the choke

Customer Question

My Kohler SV 736 engine (26 hp) starts as though the choke is full on spits black smoke and then, when throttle is advanced to full, slowly accelerates, still spitting black smoke and chugs. Changing fuel filter, allowing fuel lines to flow clean to the pump, replacing the air cleaner and induction screen seemed to correct the problem but once running at full speed, it begins to slow down and begin blowing black smoke. Installing new plugs seemed to produce immediate correction but after four or five minutes, the engine slowed down to almost idle and barffed more black smoke. The gas is fresh today and oil level is correct. Choke and accelerator cables on the carb face show no signs of looseness. What can I do next? Please tell me how to obtain a manual for this engine.
Thanks, Roy
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_32_690_01.pdf
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I would be looking at the carburetor float and needle valve.