Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

When my lawnmower (craftsman sitdown) runs and get hot it stops

Customer Question

When my lawnmower (craftsman sitdown) runs and get hot it stops and wont start until it cools off. What is the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
There are several things that can cause your problem.The first thing is that the ignition coil may be breaking doen under het. If this is the case, then you would have to replace the ignition coil. Run the engine until it dies and then use a spark tester to test the spark. If no spark then the coil is the problem. You could have a vapor-lock problem that is when the fuel line gets too hot it turns the fuel to vapor and it will not flow through the carburetor correctly. If that is the case, you should first switch your gas to 89 octane gas and move the fuel line away from any heat source. YYou could still have a problem with the carburetor where it is not getting enough gas and is making the engine run too hot and cause it to shut down because of the heat. You may have to rebuild the carburetor. Please let me know what you find.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.WE can still discuss this at a later time if you need more help.