Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My lawn mower not starting after i flipped it over to check

Customer Question

My lawn mower not starting after i flipped it over to check on the blade that hit a tree branch. The blade was bent pretty bad. I remover the blade and tried to start the unit but it wont start, the pull start pull freely though
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
There are a few things that can cause your problem. 1. You cannot tip a mower on it's side because oil will get into the cylinder and cause it not to start. It will also cet oil into the air filter and clog it up.f2. When you hit something , it will many times shear the flywheel timing key and it will be out of time. this means that the flywheel needs to be removed and the kwy replaces. BUT THAT IS NOT THE MAIN THING. 3. When you hit something it is very likely that you have bent the crankshaft and the engine cannot be repaired very economically. The crankshaft will need to be replaced.4. These engiens are not meant to start without a blade on them. So if you are tryign to start it with no blade on it, you need to put a new blade on it before you start it.