Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have Cub Cadet model LTX1042KW Serial ID232H30226 On

Customer Question

Hello I have Cub Cadet model LTX1042KW Serial ID232H30226
On starting, it only makes buzzing sound like solenoid is not engaging. Under the hood, there is a plug or fuse opposite theSystems Indicator Monitor. Two round red lights with blue between them remain on even when ignition switch is off. Is this "2CU" defective or is it the solenoid?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You ask if I still want the first available tech. It's been 23 hrs. Is that faster choice?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! sorry for the late response. A rapid clicking when key is turned to start? Do you have a voltmeter to test battery voltage? What is battery voltage before turning key? What is battery voltage while key is in start position? Does voltage drop well below 8 volts? Battery are cables are not getting voltage to the starter solenoid. Usually bad battery!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a voltmeter. Dashboard indicator shows 11.5 before turning to start position. When holding key in start position, the meter shows 10.4 (that's as it's buzzing). The sound is not so much of a clicking--more like an electric tool or loud shaver.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a battery charger?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump from the positive terminal to the single switch terminal on the same solenoid? This checks the battery, cables and solenoid and starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. Thank you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
oK, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me where solenoid is located? I can't see it. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The posiitve battery cable goes direct to it, on Cub Cadet, it should be behind the engine, or on the starter itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This configuration is different. Since you are not familiar with this, I'll get help elsewhere. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid is under the seat with the battery!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplimage.php?ir=YTozOntzOjY6ImxpbmVJZCI7czo5OiJjdWItY2FkZXQiO3M6OToiaW1hZ2VQYXRoIjtzOjIwOiJOelk1TURjME9EaGNNREF3Tmc9PSI7czo3OiJvcHRpb25zIjthOjE6e3M6NToid2lkdGgiO2k6MTAwMDt9fQ