Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 5 year old x320, after about 15 minutes mowing it

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old x320, after about 15 minutes mowing it begins to stall, back fire and takes forever to restart, after it starts it acts like it was flooded, this goes on for a hour or so then seems to do ok. This is a process that happens every time I mow. I have tried the gas cap vent issue by leaving of the cap, makes no difference,please help.
Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Have you replaced the fuel filter in the fuel line from the tank? Replaced the spark plugs and air filter? The engine has a pulse fuel pump,with a pulse line from the crankcase/valve cover, is the pulse line open to the crankcase? Have you removed the float bowl on the carburetor and checked the needle valve and float for sticking or a float full of gas! There is an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor, does t move freely? It has to open fully when the key is turned on. Have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires and with the engine idling, remove one wire at a time to see if both cylinders are equal. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. The back firing can be a valve sticking, so the cylinder test may show which cylinder when it acts up.