Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1978 Troy- Bilt 7HP HORSE roto tiller.Serial # ***** Changed

Customer Question

1978 Troy- Bilt 7HP HORSE roto tiller.Serial # *****
Changed V belts from 1/2" X 22" to 1/2 " X 21 ". the 22" kept slipping under load from day one. I understand the correct belt size is 1/2 " X 21. 5/8"
However now I can not get into reverse, the motor housing on the two pins bottoms out against the gear box housing before the reverse disc comes into contact with the reverse pulley. I cannot see any adjustments to take correct this problem.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the reverse disk itself could be worn and need replaced. See page 105 here: http://1drv.ms/1GgntiV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you missed my point. Even a worn reverse disc should make some contact. The disc does not wear on the outer circumference. The diameter stays the same no matter how badly the disc is worn. All the wear is at the angled sides.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I couldn't help.I'll opt out.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
the real problem is that you have the wrong belt on the unit. On the Horse tillers you cannot use ANY other belt than the ofiginal Troy-Bilt belts. Even the slightest difference will cause the tiller to not operate correctly. Order the EXACT right belt fron Troy-bilt and you would correct your problems.