Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Have a 5hp &S boat motor. I can't get the motor to turn when

Customer Question

Have a 5hp B&S boat motor. I can't get the motor to turn when I pull the rope. In other words, I can get about 18 inches of pull before it doesnt move further. I have put it in gear and turned the prop, same issue. I do hear a gurgle sound when I was able to get it to move twice but th
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. Try removing the spark plug and see if it will turn over and if do is fuel or oil coming out of the spark plug hole ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try that but I've been away. What does seeing gas or oil suggest?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The carburetor not stopping the gas flow. And gas getting in the oil and mixing with the crankcase. If it filled the crankcase it will lock the motor because it can't complete a cycle being the crankcase is over filled because of the gas mixing with the oil . If that is the case it would need the carburetor rebuild and the inlet valve replaced along with the needle etc