Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I HAVE A 2 CYLINDER KOHLER ENGINE, THE ENGINE SOUNDS

Customer Question

HELLO, I HAVE A 2 CYLINDER KOHLER ENGINE, THE ENGINE SOUNDS GOOD WITH 135LBS OF COMPRESSION ON BOTH SIDES BUT IT WILL NOT HOLD THE RPM SETTINGS AT IDLE OR AT ANY RPM SETTINGS. THE ENGINE IS IN A GREENS SPRAYER WE SPRAY AT 2730 RPMS WHEN GOING UP HILLS IT WILL NOT HOLD THIS RPM IT WILL GET AS LOW AS 1500 RPMS. I HAVE CLEANED OUT GAS TANK AND WENT THROUGH CARBURATOR ALSO I HAVE CHECKED THE SETTING OF THE GOVENER, I HAVE REPLACED ALL 3 SPRINGS ON GOVERNER RODS. ALSO I HAVE REPLACED BOTH IGNITION COILS, WHEN IT IS SITTING AT IDLE AND GIVE IT FULL THROTTLE YOU CAN WATCH THE GOVENER WORK AND IT PULLS THE LINKAGE BACK. BUT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY IT WILL NOT WORK UNDER LOAD. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS, STEVE
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one spark plug wire at a time. Both cylinders should be same, If engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. If not firing, check for spark, you have compression, then check the valves if it has spark.