Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2001 grasshopper midmount. 52 inch cut. We replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2001 grasshopper midmount. 52 inch cut. We replaced the battery last year, put a new electronic fuel pump on it this year. It does not appear to keep a charge or it's not charging. I can jump it and it runs fine after it turns over and over at first to get it started the first time. Once it starts its fine for the rest of that day. We also replaced the starter and solenoid this year. I was cutting today and hit an ant bed and stalled it. It would not start. Brought the charger to jump it but it only clicks back at the clutch. It will not turn over at all. How do I test the clutch and anything else that might be causing the hard starts and the dead battery or not charging? The fuses are good. It is an ch18 Kohler command horizontal crankshaft. Will you send a off of how to check what and where? Diagrams? Is it time for a new mower?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The stator/alternator is under the flywheel and has two wires that come out to the voltage regulator on the engine shroud. You need a voltmeter to test it and the battery voltage. Battery voltage gas to be above 12.5 volts DC for any chance of start.