Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience:  15+ years of experience and a business owner.
8380480

I have just changed my oil in my Craftman riding mower as I

Customer Question

I have just changed my oil in my Craftman riding mower as I usually do, when I started it it starts smoking. What did I do wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,First thing to check is the oil level to make sure it's not overfilled.If it's not and you're sure of it.Start the engine and let it smoke out for a couple minutes.If the smoke goes away you probably are looking at some worn valve guides and seals.If it doesn't go away and didn't do this before you stopped to change the oil then you need to pull off the air cleaner and see if there's oil in the airbox.If there is that would indicate excessive crankcase pressure which can be caused by a clogged breather or worn piston rings, or a blown head gasket.