Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman riding mower. Kohler 16.5. 42" cutting deck.

Customer Question

I have a craftsman riding mower. Kohler 16.5. 42" cutting deck. All of a sudden won't turn over to start. It is in neutral, I depress clutch/ brake, I am sitting on the seat and have checked the activation trigger under the seat. When I turn lights on they are working, so I don't think its the battery. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Mower has a single ignition fuse, is it good? Located near the battery and starter solenoid. Owners manual may show exact location. If use is good, do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage? It will be over 13 volts if fully charged, and has to have a minimum of 12.5 volts for start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to continue my discussion with Curtis, his two suggestions haven't got my mower working yet.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuse was good? And battery voltage is above 12.5 volts? If you follow the battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump from the battery post o the small switch terminal on the same solenoid, does the engine spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be home in a couple of hours and try that then be back in touch.
So I am hooking up a jumper cable from the red battry post to what?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
On the solenoid , where the red cable attaches,to the single wire post on the solenoid. These two connections are within an inch of each other. You want to use a small wire and touch this together. This is the same connection the keyswitch makes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sitting by my machine. I see where the red cable attaches to the solenoid, dont see the sngle wire post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found them. yes it does turn over. what does this mean?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It means the battery, cables, solenoid and starter are good! So back to the safety switches. Check the seat switch and the harness to it, then the brake switch and harness. Both will keep the starter from working. I assume the ignition fuse is good, since the lights work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the seat switch, anyway to check it? Where is the brake switch located?Under the machine or inside the machine?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
is seat switch just two wires or a four wire switch? If two wires, just tie the two wires together.You never gave me the model number of the unit. The owners manual usually has a wiring diagram in the back of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2 wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where will i find the model number, I purchased this used.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Model is under the seat. example 917-12345
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just looking for how to test the seat switch, and locate and check the brake switch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.shopyourway.com/manuals/28246--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------see page 31 for wiring diagram. Seat switch makes when you sit on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
link doesnt work says omething went wrong.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
did you highlite link? I works! Left click to highlite, right click to go to.