Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Cub Cadet 2135. Shutting down after 20 min

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet 2135. It has been shutting down after running for about 20 minutes. Also, when I try to turn it off with the key before it dies, it will not stop running. Even pulled the key out still runs. Any ideas?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Single cylinder Kohler engine? The key switch should ground the spark module to kill the engine! Could there be a broken wire or damaged harness under the sheet metal on top of the engine? Sounds like two problems, but they may be related, but all points to a wiring problem. Remove the upper cover so you can see the coil/module, then unplug the single wire to the coil which is the kill wire and see if mower will continue to run, Then short out the kill terminal to kill the engine.