Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I recently inherited a petrol mower (never owned/used one before,

Customer Question

hi . I recently inherited a petrol mower (never owned/used one before, which will become apparent as my woeful tale is told). Nievely, i turned it upside down to inspect the blade, but when i returned it back i noticed what looked like oil, was running from the front of the engine area and down the plastic body of the mower and it will not start at all.
I am also struggling to find a manual as the plastic chassis states it is "Model TV540" (which i cannot find any info on) and the engine is stamped with the code "VAN 148 E-36102E"
plz help!
P.s. what i know about combustion engines could be written on a matchbox but i do now have an incentive to learn :o)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
HI,
By turning the mower upside down , what you have done is gotten oil into many places that it is not supposed to go.
Start by removing the spark plug, and then remove the air cleaner.
There is very likely oil on the plug and air cleaner/filter.
You can clean the oil off of the spark plug with some rubbing alcohol and the air cleaner will have to be replaced with a new one if it has oil on it.
Then pull the rope several times to push additional oil out of the spark plug hole.
Once that is done, you may be able to install the spark plug and try to start the engine. It will smoke a lot until the oil gets burned out of the cylinder and muffler.
Maker sure that you check the oil in the engine to make sure that it still has enough oil in it to run properly or you can ruin the engine by running it low on oil.
If you get it started, let it run until the smoke stops coming out of the muffler.
Hopefully this will get you going, but if not, you may have to take the mower to a good repair shop so they can get it going again for you.
Feel free to contact me here again if needed and PLEASE don't forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way that I get paid for my time by this site.