Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

A have a Ferris Zero Turn IS1500Z with a Kawasaki FH721V engine.

Customer Question

A have a Ferris Zero Turn IS1500Z with a Kawasaki FH721V engine. After it warms up it stalls. And will not restart. It usually has the appearance of a flat dead battery. The engine will not crank over. We have been charging the battery to "reset".
I had previously replaced the voltage regulator and this week replaced the charging coil and battery. Last night it stalled again.
I'm suspecting the ignition coils. The manual says to test them cold. Will I find the problem if it is a "when hot" condition?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter to check the charging system? With engine off,check battery voltage, should be over 13 volts if battery is fully charged, then with engine running at 1/2 throttle, read battery voltage again, it should now read over 14 volts. If not, the charging system is not charging the battery! The output of the regulator has to go to the battery posiitve, either at the starter solenoid, or the key switches battery terminal. If battery voltage drops below 12 volts ,the fuel solenoid in the carburetor will shutoff the fuel. The ignition coils have nothing to do with battery charging.