Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 23 hp Kohler engine in a Craftsman lawn tractor started

Customer Question

My 23 hp Kohler engine in a Craftsman lawn tractor started with an occasional miss that has now progressed to a serious missing and back firing, which renders the mower useless. It now dies constantly, but restarts fairly easily. I have changed the fuel and air filters, and the plugs. The fuel I'm using was recently purchased from the same place I fuel my car and the same fuel is used in another push mower. I exposed the top side down to the flywheel, but nothing jumps out at me
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Twin engine, so run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires and with the engine idling remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark, and compression, if it has both,check the valve operation. The backfiring, can be sign a valve is stuck open!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry Curtis but you missed the mark on this one, the problem was electrical

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What was problem? That it killed both cylinders? Oil pressure switch?