Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

How do you replace the Head on a TroyBilt Grass Trimmer

Customer Question

How do you replace the Head on a TroyBilt Grass Trimmer Mod # ***** EC? I presently have the head that I received from TroyBilt because of a defect when it was new. Your info would be deepely appreciated. Yours, Vincent Boudreau
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Just above the head is a small slot, you take a small screwdriver or pointed tool and slip into this slot to hold the shaft rigid. With shaft held, then you can unscrew the head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my response? The shaft has to be held by a small slot just above the head. Use a screwdriver or other pointed tool in the hole, to lock the drive shaft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis B.:i have looked at your answer and presently on this grass trimmer that gap is only about 1/32 in.When this trimmer was about 2 wks. old I had to take it to a authorized service dealer in this area.. The headed had heated up too much that it would not function properly.( due to long grass strands getting caught in that space,, partly my fault because I did not notice that happening.)At the repair service dealer, they had my machine there three weeks.I call that dealer at the end of every wk, looking for my machine.. Response was that they were waiting for parts to arrive.. At the end of the 3rd. wk.I ask them to have my trimmer ready that I was going to pick it up.(Fixed or not).They in turn made a quick repair job. They put the old head back on with some parts missing..Needless to say I was not very happy.I drove 30 miles one way , twice to try to get my machine.. It looked like the top part of the head had melted so bad ,that they couldn' do anything with it.. leaving a smaller gap for me to replace the head..I then contacted Troy Bilt and complained of this poor service, they in turn sent me a new head, just to try and keep me happy.. This is the reason that I can't remove the head... Yours Vince Boudreau
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Gap is too small to keep an ice pick from going in and catching the inner shaft drive? If so, and the repair center couldn't get it off!!! Seems like a new trimmer under warranty would be what you need!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis, Here is the final results. After looking at your answer and looking over the situation at hand, here is what I did. Took a hacksaw and sawed off the old head and then I was able to free the old head and then I screwed the new head that I had received from TroyBilt and that my friend has solved my problem. .Thanks for your info , it was very helpful in that I was able to determine that no way could I removed that head with such a small gap to work with. Thanks again, yours ,Vince Boudreau
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Good job! Thanks for the update.