Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

If i take out sparkplug engine turns over.with plug in it barely

Customer Question

if i take out sparkplug engine turns over.with plug in it barely turns .seems like to much compression but not a mechanic
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
You didn't tell me what kind of engine this was or if it was a rider or a push mower, so I am going to guess that this is an overhead valve engine in a riding mower.
Usually this problem is caused by the valves that need to be adjusted. When the valves are not adjusted correctly the compression release does not work correctly and will build up too much compression. Valves should be adjusted at least every 2 years.
Most engines should have .004" to .005" between the valves stem and the rocker arm when the valves are completely closed.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need more help.
Please do not forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site will pay me for my time.