Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a fr600v. It worked fine last week and it won't stay

Customer Question

I have a fr600v. It worked fine last week and it won't stay running. When I let off the key, it quits.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Check the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor. Does it have battery voltage when the key is on? It has to open with the key and has to stay open, or the engine gets no fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see a solenoid or anything electrical around the carb.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
How old is the unit? Made in the last 10 years, it will have a solenoid on the carburetor.??? It likely is holding the float bowl on the carburetor.See link.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/kawasaki/22617/1932
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Enigine was manufactured 0211. Still don't see a solenoid by the bowl. If I hold the key to the starter position for a very short time, it sounds like the engine is running. When I let off the key, the engine dies. There is fuel in the filter and I just put anew battery in.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/kawasaki/22617/1932
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a solenoid, like on the diagram on the bottom of the bowl.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, engine has to loose spark or fuel. Do you have spark when engine quits? Will it start right back up and repeat? What is the full model number of the engine? FR600V-??-??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean by, Do you have spark when engine quits?Yes, it will repeat the same start up method.I'm not home right now so I'll have to get the model number later.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I would like to see what the carburetor looks like and need the model number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the attached.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the model number, the AS-09 is not shown, only the AS-08. ?? You have just a bolt holding the carburetor float bowl on? Have you removed the bowl and checked the main jet passage, the port through the middle of the carburetor? With engine starving for fuel,the float and needle valve may be sticking or there is debris in the bowl and main jet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not taken the bowl off. I can try that when I get home from work and I'll let you know what I find.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK,that would be what needs to be done. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis,
I loosened the bowl and gas came pouring out so I tightened it back up. With that said, I am almost thinking my problem may be electrical due to the fact the entire engine shuts down when I let off the key from the starter position. Thoughts?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Just a standard bowl bolt holding the bowl? Key switch may be killing the spark when you let up on the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying I need to replace the key or is there a way to test it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It can be tested, you have to locate the kill wire on the switch, and see if it goes to ground when you release the key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis,I was unable to work on my lawnmower last night. Hopefully I can get back to it tonight.Thank you,
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, we has three inches of rain last night! Get to it when you can! Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Curtis,I did not get to work on the lawn mower again last night due to family commitments. My goal is get home a little earlier this afternoon and check the switch out which I am a little confused on how to check. I can usually find my way around mechanical issues but electrical is not my strong point. I am in the process of removing the instrument panel so I can get to the back side of the key switch. I'll get back to you later.Thank you,
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK,thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Curtis,I'm not sure how long I have to ask questions on the same problem but I have not even looked at my mower since our last conversation. I have been moving my in-laws and hope to be done this weekend and get back to the lawnmower.Thank you,
Doug
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanks for reply