Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have a cub m60 tank with a 25 hp Kawasaki and the engine

Customer Question

I have a cub m60 tank with a 25 hp Kawasaki and the engine only runs with the choke on
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
With choke on means your not getting fuel. First change the fuel filter. If you can take air and with the line off fuel filter blow air on the side goes back to the tank to see if line or pickup tube is blocked. Next would be take line off of fuel pump on carb side and crank engine. It should pump fuel so becareful. If it is pumping fuel then the problem is in the carb and will need taken apart and cleaned or replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done everything that you have asked. Fuel Filter replaced and even removed, fuel tank flushed and new gas, Fuel Pump checked plenty of gas pumping out, and have taken the carb apart and cleaned / resealed all new gaskets. What Now?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Did you make sure you got the jets clean in the carb ? Those hole are small.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have blown carb cleaner thru them and have a very bright light and can see light through them. Anything else?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Vacuum leak on the intake would also make you run it on choke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said I have replaced all gaskets.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Is the fuel shut off solenoid working correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked it also and solenoid opens and closes when power it put to it and taken away.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
If you are pumping good fuel to the carb then it would have to be in the carb. Have you taken the air cleaner out and see if it will run on carb cleaner with choke off. If it does then you are not getting fuel through carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have taken air cleaner off and it will run on carb cleaner. So I need a new carb?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
If you take the fuel line off of carb and crank engine and pumps good fuel then there is something wrong with carb. Also make sure you have good fuel in tank. If it could have gotten water or something in it the plugs won't fire on contaminated fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said I have cleaned the tank and put new fuel in. The engine runs with the choke on so plugs should be firing ok other wise it would not run at all.
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Well then if there is not a vacuum leak then I would go back through the carb. Make sure the needle and seat are clean cause that is where the fuel comes into the carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Rex L. replied 1 year ago.
Your Welcome. Have a good day.