Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Hey Turtle, I have a 24HP Kawasaki motor on a 2012 52" Z-Master.

Customer Question

Hey Turtle, I have a 24HP Kawasaki motor on a 2012 52" Z-Master. Initial problem was motor would bog down with PTO engagement and really would not cut at all. i did a balance test with the plugs and it would run with one plug but not at all with the other. Is this a coil?
Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Did you check for spark on the dead cylinder? If no spark, yes, you need a new coil. The dead one is the opposite of the one you pull and engine dies!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check for spark...accidentally. I was shocked! So yes there was spark to some degree.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also here is some more background info. I pulled both plugs and one was pretty fouled. Oily looking....I discovered the choke was partially stuck open as well. I was able to shut the choke, but it was still wanting to stick if opened. So, I replaced both plugs and the fuel filter.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Choke needs to be fully opened when engine is running. If after running for a while, and the engine still has weak or dead cylinder, check the valve lash adjustment, needs to be .006 inch, intake and exhaust, and check the compression. Check for spark with spark plug grounded to the metal of the engine. And when engine dies when one is removed, it is the opposite cylinder that is bad