Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

LTR180 timing belt tensioning. Machine bought in new 2002,

Customer Question

LTR180 timing belt tensioning. Machine bought in new 2002, bagging over a big garden. In the beginning due to careless operating I used to brake timing belts once every two years. Last 5 years ago when installing the JD belt I noticed that I had to remove tube on stud on the rhs that guides the belt because the belt was touching it all the time. Also the tension arm bottomed out way before the spring had compressed to the notch. Had to cut grass so finished assembly. From there on the blades lost timing every couple of month but no broken belts. I was let to believe the this was due to wear on all of the toothed wheels. Finally I invested in a full set of wheels (such) fitted them and no change with the old belt or a brand new one. Check belts 325 teeth and 2600mm length.Old and new measurements are correct. Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Many thanks,
R Hellemans
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! This was a total failure for Deere and MTd. The timing belts never caught own and were dropped on newer units. You don't find any on the later models. If using the larger wheels will help the tension and keep the belt in time so the blades don;t touch, it has to help! I don't have a good answer for the cogged belts, other than get rid of it!