Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a YTS4500 model# ***** that when it heats up it

Customer Question

I have a YTS4500 model# ***** that when it heats up it quits and cannot be started until it cools down. I have bypassed the carb solenoid and still the problem persist. What would be recommended next or troubleshooting steps to help isolate. THanks!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Kohler twin engine? For engine t quit, it has to loose spark or fuel. Take a spare spark plug and when it quits, remove a spark plug wire, attach the spar plug, and with it grounded, see if you have spark. If it has spark, we will assume it is loosing fuel. What did you do to bypass the carburetor solenoid? Remove it? If it has no spark, what would kill both coils, s the twin has two coils. I don't see the Kohler oil guard shown, as an oil pressure switch could kill the spark.???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is a twin spark plug... I replaced fuel filter.... I have bypassed the carb solenoid.... and my question was what would affect both ignition modules since the engine just quits... not miss... but quits... if it was one ignition module it would miss or run rough as in one cylinder firing. Thought you could tell me what would be next up the line from the ignition module.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine show to have OIL Guard system? If not, there is nothing upstream of the modules to kill spark to both cylinders. You say you bypassed the fuel solenoid, what did you do there?