Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have been working with Frank on my TC-210 Unfortunately

Customer Question

IThis spring, the TC-210 which has been an animal would barely run. I pulled the carb, it was really crummy from probably ethanol. Due to time restriction, I ordered a new one. It ran better, but still ran rough, could not get to hight speed, idled rough.   Chased everything, fuel, lines, compression, spark arrestor. Turns out it I think it was the gasket between the carb and manifold.   Put a little RTV on it and we are running. But we are not truly functional. It starts easily.I can't keep it running in idle. When I lift it up and rev it, it goes to a high rpm but can't sustain it. It falls off to half speed. The carb screws are currently set at H 1 1/2 turns. L at 1 1/4. The carb had the needles out much farther when I got it.  Not sure really how to optimize. I have made small changes to both, only changing one at a time, but still not working. Help!

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,did you replace the fuel filter? Set both carb adjustments to 2 turns open.Start the trimmer and open the low speed screw(closest to the engine) so it will run without the choke on.Squeeze the trigger and if it hesitates or wants to stall open low speed a hair more.Run on high speed and fine tune adjustment,after it runs good open high speed screw a hair so it doesn't run too lean.Also make sure the carb adapter mounted to the engine is tight. Did you make sure the RTV did not block the port hole and passge on adapter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I have done all of that. I used the old gasket with RTV just to see if that was the problem. I installed a new gasket. Not sure what the torq setting should be on the carb, but I guess I can disassemble and see if it was leaking. This is extremely frustrating. Maybe there is something I didn't do.

Had some challenges with compression testing. Different testers were giving me different results as there were for big engines. Bought one, a good one, and got 150.

I can't really keep the thing running to actually open up and adjust the low speed. There has to be something else.

When I put the new carb on, it did not run any better at first.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Compression seems kind of high.Check the spark arrester and then remove the muffler to see if exhaust port is partially clogged and to checkk for any scoring in piston andcylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed the muffler and spark plug arrestor previously. How do I check for scores? Is there something I should take a picture of and send to you?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
the piston and cylinder wall should be free of scratches or grooves
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, hang tight. Let me take the spark arrestor back off for a good pic.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Take the muffler off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I know. It's so hot here, u don't want to move.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
LOL, it's hot here too. Thank God for AC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
If you raise the idle will it stay running at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope. Only if I keep reving it. Interesting discovery. Disclaimer: Yes, I know that when setting the screws, you have to be very careful not to go into far. I was very careful, as soon as it hit stop, I stopped. Pulled the screw, and the tip is messed up. Took the idle screw from the old one, and same thing happened. Now this is high idle. So I will get another one. Bad carb? Kind of weird?

So here is what happens. Two pulls with choke on, and it starts to kick. Take off choke, starts. Even with idle screw all the way in, can't keep ir running. I have to keep revving. When I lift the tiller up and hold it down, it will go to the high idle, but an't keep it. Wonder if I can send you a video. I thought for sure you were going to ask me if I was a photographer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, here is another thing...When I bought the new carb, I searched Echo TC-210 Carb that was sent is C1UK82.

When I check the parts catalog for my serial number, they have: C1UK54A. The boss says for TC-210, but I don't know if they are compatible or not.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
What is the engine model from the sticker near carb? (SV/2A) Did you remove the carb adapter and check it for cracks or a torn gasket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No and Nada. Let me check.

I did check the gasket, the big white thing. was in good shape.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SV 5E1
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
I checked,the original carb is NA and that's the replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so that's good. Now where do we go?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
I noticed from the pictures you sent there is something red on the cylinder head bolt,did you have the cylinder off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. How about this. We should probably leak test the carb.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

It should be ok considering it's new unless the fuel filter wasn't connected to the fuel line when starting. But anything is possible.There could be an air leak.Did you notice if it were wet around the cylinder or carb adapter? Did you replace the tank grommet too? Fuel lines are hooked up correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. On Generator. Bad storms wiped out the power everywhere.

Here are the pics, enjoy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This Just Answer is trying me to ask another question for $36 bucks.

Do you see the pics I attached earlier?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Nice pics! it looks like the wire was pinched. If it still isn't working I'll opt out.I'm running out of ideas or causes and not seeing it for myself makes it harder.Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which wire? I see the gasket is wet,the new one that I ordered. Missing the wire though. Was going to use super fancy RTV made by MerCruiser. It's really great stuff.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
The wire coming from the coil to the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about the carb gasket pics?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes a fine crack is in the carb adapter and sucks air.When running it and it starts to slow down spray the carb adapter with carb cleaner to see if the speed picks up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I went back, reassembled the carb, manifold, gaskets and now it does not run. Has to be carb. Need to order that black ,and fold thing and new gaskets.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and maybe someone else can help you out.