Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

19.5 hp difficult to start. I need some ideas. This riding

Customer Question

19.5 hp difficult to start. I need some ideas. This riding lawn mower is 4 yr old. It started up ok a few weeks ago. While I was operating it, it started running very rough. Now it won't start. The B&S engine drags. I can turn it by hand.
1) I replaced air filter, fuel filter, and spark plug.
2) I replaced the battery as the voltage drops down to ~9V during start.
3) I replaced the starter. Symptoms remains the same.
I did get it going twice today, but only when the battery charger pumps up the voltage to 13.2V. The engine runs rough then conks out when I throttle up the engine.
Help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
The most likely issues are that the carburetor is dirty and needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. You most likely are not getting enough gas on start-up.
Also, if you bought a CHEAP battery from a discount store it is very likely that it is not very good to start with. You must have a good battery with at least 300 cranking amps .
If the engine is dragging, then you most likely need to have the valves adjusted. This needs to be done every two years. If the valves are off, the compression release will not operate and cause the drag.
It is hard to tell for sure with out actually seeing it but that is what I think is wrong. Make sure that you are using FRESH 89 octane gas old gas will cause you a lot of problems.
Please let me know what you find and let me know if you need any more information.
Please don't forget to give me a good rating as this is the only way I get paid by this site for my time.