Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Where is the starter solenoid on a model407777 type 0128E1

Customer Question

Where is the starter solenoid on a model407777 type 0128E1 Briggs&stratton located. The engine cranks over but will not start. I replaced spark plug ,fuel filter and fuel pump.
Thanks
Hank
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer , if the solenoid was bad it would just click and not turn over , I think it's more of a carb issue , try removing the air filter and splashing some gas in the carb and see if it will start momentarily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not getting a spark and adding gas to carb did not help
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok , if your not getting spark it's your ignition coil . You can try unhooking the drunk from it to rule out any chance it's being grounded by the wire etc . It's located right against the flywheel
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs-and-stratton-4077770128e1-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_241121_241146.html
Part 333 is what your looking for
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the ignition coil which was defective. the engine momentarily started once but was unable to start after that. Getting a good spark.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you are getting spark now right ? . Check the oil to see if it smells like gas , if it does let me know immediately and do not try to start it , if it doesn't remove the air filter and put a little gas in the carburetor and see if it will start momentarily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil does not smell of gas. While cranking engine it makes a popping sound without starting.
Thanks for your patience
Hank
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the timing key in the flywheel ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to remove flywheel to check key. Using a puller with 5/16 bolts I exerted pressure to the point that something would snap. I think that your idea that the key is the problem is right otherwise the flywheel would have easily come off. A torch will probably be needed and since I don't have have one I will bring it to a repair shop. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Yes the best way to pull it is you need a huge 3 leg puller and a impact gun. I'm not sure bit I think you can rent them from a auto parts store
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what the shop says and also please don't forget to rate my service when you get a chance