Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a craftsman LT1000. I have been fixing it...starter,

Customer Question

I have a craftsman LT1000. I have been fixing it...starter, coil, etc. But when I start it, with the air filter off, oil/gas mixture starts to blow out the air intake near the carburator. Also I notice the same from a rubber tube connected to the head chamber that houses the rods. ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine will turn over and start briefly, then it dies. White smoke comes from the exhaust. During the brief running (5 seconds or less) oil/gas spits out of the air intake plastic pipe coming from the carburator. It smells of oil/gas.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer , check your oil and see if it smells like gas or is thin, if so do not try to start it again , it can lock the engine up or break the connecting rod , the problem is the carburetors needle is not sealing with the inlet valve and gas is bypassing and getting into the crankcase and mixing with the oil. To fix it the carburetor will have to be removed and rebuilt meaning replacing the needle and brass seat which is pressed in . Once it's rebuilt you will have to change the oil and filter etc before trying to start it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Referring to the needle and brass seat...is this 'pressing in of the brass seat' something I can do, or do I need to take it somewhere? I am mechanically inclined and have rebuilt other carburetors before I just don't recall doing that before. thx for the response. It is in line with what I have researched but with more detail. thx
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
You can do it, here is a site that will walk you through it
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp