Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis I have a Generac iX2000 that has no spark. This generator

Customer Question

Curtis I have a Generac iX2000 that has no spark. This generator has been running and became impossible to start and was going to be junked. I figured that it was a good rainy day project and set it up out of the way. Well after several test and re-test I am at a loss. I followed "Problem #6 - Engine Will Not Start per Troubleshooting and Diagnostic Tests". All readings are good. I checked spark plug on ignition of my JD and it's ok. Plug gap is 0.030.
Any idea?
Tx,
Frank
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Locate the kill wire on the coil, remove the kill wire and test for spark at the spark plug. If no spark, the coil is bad! The only thing that makes the spark is the magnet in the flywheel and the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you get to check the kill wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what I have done so far since asking question:
I had to replace ignition coil. When handling to test the spark plug wire cracked and crumbled in my hands. As you suggested opened kill wire from new ign coil jumped hot lead between male and female connector ends and still no spark. Put all wiring/connectors back in place and retested new coil per test # ***** and all readings Ok. Tested Oil Level Switch (cut/opened wire) no spark, rewired and still no spark, Retested Fuel Shutoff switch per test # ***** it Ok. Retested Trigger Assembly per test # ***** and reading is high at 220 ohms vs. ~ 129 ohms for iX2000. Reconnected everything and still no spark. All tests per Generac Diagnostic Repair Manual.