Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My GT2544 has run great and did so again this

Customer Question

My GT2544 has run great for years and did so again this morning. When I hit some high grass, the deck clogged and I cleaned it out. When I went to restart, the motor began surging and running rough. I nursed it back to the barn with the surging continuing.
I turned the motor off and checked the deck (clear)the oil was fine, the belts fine and tried to start it up again. The engine cranked but did not start and suddenly began backfiring constantly. I rechecked the oil and belts and then looked at the fuel filter
(clean), two spark plugs (a bit black at the bottom but intact) and all seemed fine. Nothing else looks out of place, so I am at a loss.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Engine backfiring is sign of valve open when the spark occurs. Do you have a compression gage to check compression? Or use finger with rag over the spark plug hoes while cranking, to see if one cylinder has lost compression. If it has, remove the rocker cover and check for a stuck valve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a compression gauge any longer. It is raining pretty fiercely her now, so I will need to go out later and check. I will be in touch once I do the finger test. Thank you. If it is so, what would need to be done to fix the problem?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
if a valve is stuck, you will need to remove the head for repair.