Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have an Onan 5500 generator. It would start,

Customer Question

Hi...we have an Onan 5500 generator. It would start, spit and sputter and die. We replaced the carburetor and now it runs poorly. When we take the air filter off, there's a lot of gas coming out of the unit. If we put the air filter back on the unit chokes out. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize...I sent all of this last night, but apparently it didn't save. Model number is ***** HGJAB-1038C Issue started when it wouldn't start one morning. It would start, backfire and sputter for a few seconds and die. We found that if we removed the air filter it would run but dripped gas out of the carb. We added additive to the fuel and also new fuel to the tank. It would never start after that time. We installed a new carburetor. It will now run (again) with the air filter off, dripping gas. We have changed/gapped the spark plugs (find that one is wet, one is dry) and adjusted the valves. Did find that one of the valves is sticking, but messed with it and it was working again. Generator will run as long as the filter is off. When we put it back on, the engine chokes out and dies. Also determined that it is flashing code 37.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
The first thing I need you to do is to check both cylinders to see if you are getting spark.
Do not rely on an inline tester - physically pull the plugs and check them for spark.
Are both cylinders firing?
.