Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 2000 Sportsman 500 6 wheeler when put into gear does not

Customer Question

My 2000 Sportsman 500 6 wheeler when put into gear does not move, it just revs the engine, if i put into reverse it moves a little and when i put it into low gear it moves a little, this happened as i was towing a tow behind mower on my property> What is the issue a bad clutch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Bad belt would be my thought! You will need to remove the bolts on the right side foot rest and the bolts to the rear fender, then you can remove the bolts around the clutch cover and slip it out. You may be able to remove the top cooling tube on the clutch cover and see parts of the belt if belt is coming apart. It can be clutch, but belt failure is much more common.