Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My onan generator wont stay running. We just had the carb

Customer Question

My onan generator wont stay running. We just had the carb cleaned out and now it is flashing 3 quick times. What should we be looking for. We put 10 gallons of gas in the gas station tank, but is that enough to keep the generator running. It starts but
after a few seconds it turns off and flashes 3 times
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
A code 3 is not a Fault code, it is merely a service indicator.
Lets go in and see what the actual Fault code is.
Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.
Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.
What Fault Code are you getting?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just flashes tbe 3 times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It flashes 3 times, then a pause and then 3 times again. 3 second pause between flashes
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
As I stated above, if it is having a 3 second pause between the 3 flashes, this is merely a service indicator.
To get to the code you need to press the stop button 1 more time.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told you already that I am just getting the 3 flashes. Nothing rlae
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else*
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
So when it is flashing 3 times, and you press the STOP/PRIME button once while it is flashing, it just shuts the light off?
I have not ever seen that happen in the 15 years I have been working on Onan.
.