Frank
Frank, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  I've been a small engine technician for 10+ years. EETC Certified.
71382593

My gx 390 won't start and it's hard to pull

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,have you checked the engine oil? Will it pull easier with the plug removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil level is good. Pulled the plug and still hard to pull. The motor is on a power washer and it's easier to pull when there is no water hooked up to the pun but I don't want to start it dry and jam up the pump
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.
Was it run low on oil? If still hard to pull with plug out could be engine damage i'll opt out.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If the pump is pressurized it'll be hard to pull over unless you pull the trigger and release the pressure first and turn off water to inlet. Don't fear about running with pump dry on initial startup damage to the pump wouldn't be instant and tests have shown a new unit could run dry for 30 minutes before over heating started damaging the pump.
Ok, with spark plug out its still hard to pull over with no pressure in pump? It could be a couple things. One, the pumps bearing could be shot, and/or your engines valves are out of spec and staying closed too long during stroke.
To analyze if it's the pump or engine, you'll have to remove the pump from the engine and then try pulling over engine. If it still pulls hard then the problem is in the engine, If not then you know it's the pumps fault.