timoto
timoto, Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience, Honda silver level tech., Honda power equipment tech
8313095

I have a honda EB3800X generator. The engine dies when ever

Customer Question

I have a honda EB3800X generator. The engine dies when ever I plug in a load now matter how much of a load is applied. Any suggestions?
Thanks Jimmy
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine speed increase with the auto throttle switch in the off position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine speed does increase when the auto throttle is in the off position and decreases when the auto throttle in engaged. When ever an electrical load of any kind is applied the engine dies immediately. The circuit breaker did not trip. I'm thinking that the problem is in the power panel some where.
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
It will take some time to go thru the system and check for the source of the problem. You will need a multimeter to do some checks on the system.
First: Remove the cover over the end of the generator. Look for any sign of burnt wires on the copper wiring visible on the end of the stator and rotor. Smell the inside of the generator for any odor of burnt insulation. Start the engine and check for AC voltage across the red and white terminals and the blue and gray terminals. It should be 120 volts ac. Check for dc voltage at the brush holder. Red + white -, it should be 25 volts dc.
Let me know the results.