Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a kohler 12.5 engine on my john deere.I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a kohler 12.5 engine on my john deere.I replaced the plug & ignition module gappped both but still have no spark
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. You did set the air gap on the coil right ? Also have you tried disconnecting the ground that hooks to the coil and checking for spark to eliminate and chance of a ground issue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I'm sorry if you types a response it's not showing up on the screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I set the air gap& disconnected the ground wire
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Can you get the kohler model , family etc number on the engine ? , I would like to get a diagram of the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model# ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is in a john deere stx38
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I found a parts breakdown of the engine, when you set the air gap how much did you set it for ? . Are the magnets on the flywheel pulling strong ? Lose the coil and put a business card between the coil and flywheel with magnets facing the coil , let the magnets pull the coil to it, then tighten the coil and turn the flywheel to remove the business card. Also where did you get the replacement coil and is it's part number (###) ###-####S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I set the gap @.011 using the magnet to pull the coil in & yes that is the part # ***** have
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
How loosely will a business card slide in between the flywheel and coil ? Is it tight etc .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The only real option is the coil could defective , where did you get it from ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it from jack's small engines it's a kohler part not a cheap after market.I will start from scratch & try every thing again in case I missed something.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Technically you have done everything right. Jacks is a good parts supplier, you gapped it and tested it with a business card and unhooked the ground at the coil. It could be a faulty coil but did the original one lose spark ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how it could burn the coil up but I'm going to make sure this motor doesn't have a igniter like the kawasaki engines do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering I'd part number 8 on this diagram
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/kohler-all-products-parts/model-CV125S1247/0598/1503500/00052182/00005.html
I'm going to look into how to check it to see if it's not what's burning your coil up.