Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman ZTS 7500 Zero Radius lawn tractor which

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman ZTS 7500 Zero Radius lawn tractor which I am having problems starting. I pulled out the choke, it might start and then the engine will die right away or when I go to push the choke back in. I changed the 2 spark plugs to no avail. The wiring
appears to be warm. I have a new battery in it and the battery appears to be discharging (whereas I actually had to charge it yesterday).
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! What engine? Briggs? In the carburetor is a shutoff solenoid, it has to click open as soon as the key is turned on. Turn key on and off and listen for the click. If no click, you get no fuel through the main jet of the carburetor. It has to have 12 volts to open and to stay open. If your voltage is below 12 volts, or drops as engine runs, this solenoid will close and kill the engine. But you also need to check the charging system when you get it to run! Need to be sure the battery is being charged when engine is running, and a voltmeter is the only way to test it.