Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere LA150 Automatic: I have a John Deere LA150 Automatic.

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LA150 Automatic. I had an issue with the mower not engaging when pulling the PTO switch to the on position. I replaced the "Relay" and the "PTO" switch. The John Deere will start and run but when pulling up the "PTO" switch the mower will engage, it kills the engine. If I don't immediately disengage the "PTO" switch it will not only kill the engine but blow the fuse.
Your thoughts.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Does the deck turn smoothly and easy with everything off? If you remove the wire harness from the pto does it keep running and does not blow the fuse? If the deck turns smoothly, and easy, and the fuse does not blow when the clutch is disconnected, the clutch is pulling to many amps and needs to be replaced. The clutch should pull less that 5 amps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the deck does engage, it appears to run smoothly. I did not disconnect the PTO switch, but I did disconnect the clutch and the engine ran fine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I suspect clutch is bad, but you could check the engine for cylinders to be equal. Loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing If that is the case, check it for spark and compression. If it has both, check the valves.