Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Motor won't start. When switched on it just hums but does not

Customer Question

motor won't start. When switched on it just hums but does not start. I replaced the start capacitor and the run capacitor, didn't help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Make and model number? If this is power washer, or pump, the armature is stuck, With it unplugged, you need to get to the fan and see if you can manually turn the shaft. If you can get it to turn, the motor likely will start. If you can't turn it, then it will need to be dis-assembled to repair the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a air compressor
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, is the air pressure released? Same problem, see if you can turn the motor by hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pressure released.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Can you turn the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got to the plan can turn it by hand it ran for a split second then stopped again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got to the fan not plan
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Probably a bad motor, if the compressor end was locked, the motor would not have ran.