Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deer Hydro 165. I have replace the key switch,

Customer Question

I have a John Deer Hydro 165. I have replace the key switch, solenoid, checked fuses, battery charged adn 12.5 volts active.
Can't get it to turn over?
HELP?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter or test light to be sure the fuse id sending voltage to the key switch? Do you get any indication there is voltage at the keyswitch? With key on, will pto click when switch is pulled? If you go direct to the starter solenoid and jump it, does the engine spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting 12 volts from the key switch and the starter on one side is getting the juice.. The other side is not even when I turn it over. FYi, I purchase the solonoid on line. The part numbers matched but the new one had one extra connection that I did not find a wire to connect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####- Stephen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you old solenoid had three terminals and the new one four, you need to ground the terminal that has nothing on it. The three terminal solenoid grounds through the mounting, the four terminal does not. Make a small wire to go from terminal to mounting bolt. That should get you going!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Say a prayer for me. I have invested so much into this 1988 mower.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know. thanks.