Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I purchased a Lawn Tractor-26J Mini-Rider that was delivered

Customer Question

I purchased a Lawn Tractor-26J Mini-Rider that was delivered on 5-28-2015. I assembled the tractor and cut my lawn with no issues. On 6-3-2015 I tried to mow the lawn but the tractor would not start. I checked the battery and it was charged. I followed the trouble shooting guide and still no change. I turn the key to start and dead silence. Model # ***** Serial # *****(###) ###-####Phone #.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The wiring schematic shows a single fuse for the unit, a 15 amp blade type fuse, in the wire from the starter solenoid to the keyswitch . Locate this fuse, as it has to power the keyswitch, With no click from the fuel solenoid as soon as the key is turned to start, it seems there is no voltage to the keyswitch, If you have a voltmeter to test with, verify that he battery has at least 12.5 volts.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13b226jd066-troy-bilt-lawn-tractor-2014/wiring-schematic/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Curtis, I tried replacing the fuse but no luck.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a means to check the battery ? Are the batter cables tight? You have four safety switches that have to complete the ground for start, Is the blade/pto switch off? Pto has to be in neutral, not engaged, there is a deck switch too, and the seat and brake switch. The wiring schematic shows the connections that have to be made. If you have a voltmeter or test light, you can verify that the voltage from the fuse is getting to the keyswitch, If it is, then you have a safety switch that is not in correct position. Here is the schematic link again.----------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13b226jd066-troy-bilt-lawn-tractor-2014/wiring-schematic/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked and there is voltage from the fuse. I also went through all of the safety switch checks but still dead as a door nail
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What does the battery test for voltage? Would be above 13 volts if fully charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
That's all the battery reads with voltmeter? Needs to be a minimum of 12.5 volts for start. For a quick test, can you follow the battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump across the solenoids two battery cable connections with an old screw driver? That test the battery, cables and starter. Engine should spin if all are good.