Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 22 hp Briggs and Stratton and after it warms up after

Customer Question

I have a 22 hp Briggs and Stratton and after it warms up after an hour it will die and back Fire and not start until it cools down. It's on a van mounted carpet cleaner. Runs great when cold and even after running a while. It will backfire and not start and if it does runs ruff and dies. Manual says check pvc value and or back pressure fro, carbon buildup I'm the heat exchanger on the exhaust. Where is the pic valve
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.it sounds like your either losing spark or compression , being the backfiring etc I'm leaning towards the valves but to test it you will need a compression tester , test the compression before starting and then once it dies test the compression again , so if it has 85 to 90 psi before starting and only 55 psi after dying you know it's a compression issue which could be a ring or valve issue