Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Trying to remove a Kawasaki FH580V from the chassis of

Customer Question

Hi. Trying to remove a Kawasaki FH580V from the chassis of a JD GT235. Problem is that the pulles and clutch are not slipping down off of the output shaft of the motor. If memory serves, I dropped the PTO a few yas back to replace the maine, hydro-drive belt and things slipped off so quickly I had to go to a parts book to determine how to put them back together properly. I would say things are rust bound somewhere, maybe even just along a keyway, and not sure how to go about getting them free.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been working on old Farmalls for some number of years, and have used all sorts of combination of chemicals, leverage, heat and colorful language to overcome rusty nuts and bolts. This one has me stymied. I've got a good idea that it is the upper half of the clutch that is bound to the shaft, but no idea how to break/work it free. If I can get the clutch down and the upper pulley is also stuck, I have pullers that I can get onto it to be able to finish pulling the motor up through the chassis deck..
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!Take the crankshaft bolt and screw it back in, to protect the threads, then while holding a strain on the pulley, tap the bolt to help free up the pulley, the pry works best if you can get two pry's at opposites to each other.