Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Purchased in Aug 2014 new rear engine riding mower ,model#7800932-00.

Customer Question

purchased in Aug 2014 new rear engine riding mower ,model#7800932-00. have mowed with it 15 to 20 times. the engine runs fine for 30 to 40 minutes, then it chokes like starving for gas or air, I stop the blade, set mower to neutral and two out of five times it will recover by sputtering for about 30 to 45 seconds. I mow on average 1 & 1/2 half hours and the engine tries to stop 5 to 6 times. I end up turning the engine off and using the push mower. I am really disgusted at this point. Help please
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Have you tried loosening the gas cap to eliminate any chance of vapor lock ? , it could also be water in the gas , I know you drained the gas but if there is any water left in the system it's heavier than gas and will sit at low points in the fuel lines etc , I would add water remover to the gas as a safety measure because it will clear any water in the bowl of the carburetor as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I loosened the gas cap before. will Stable or something better remove the water?
No but heet or stp water remover would , add no more than a 1/4 of the bottle , I use heet and it makes the motor make a little bit of popping noise as it runs but it's just from the octane, it clears out the water though .
Have you used a water remover before ? , being it starts back up we know it has spark and compression I believe you have some water in that fuel system
Have you gotten any further with the rider ?